I subbed today for the first time at my friend's mother's daycare center. And this is what a little girl around the age of 6 or 7 said about me to her friends as she saw me waiting patiently for my instructions for the day. "Look what we have here" can be broken down in to many things. Look: behold, something to critique and speculate about. I'm a spectacle. What: no who there. Not even enough to be a person. But a THING to speculate about. We: I'm not here for myself I'm here for them. Have: a note of possession. Here: the place in which I stood was also their territory. As objectifying as the statement sounds, I could not help but laugh as the mere sprout of a girl spouting words that sound like they should be coming from the mouth of a southern bell, looking condescendingly over her plantation at an interesting sight in the distance. The children at that day care center don't need me. I'm a passing trend keeping someone's seat warm. I need them much more than they will ever need me. They give me purpose, something to do. Funny thing is, Korea was definitely that for me. Purpose. But here in America, I almost feel as if I lack not only purpose but value. OF course God values me. But is that enough? Should it be? No one over here needs me. And the more I analyze it, the more I feel that no one ever needed me even in Korea. and even before Korea. But I needed everyone else. I'm now at the point in which I feel that I don't need everyone else as much as I thought. I've started deleting facebook friends, basically because a lot of them are not really my friends. Not trying to offend anyone. In fact, many of them do not benefit from my friendship and I don't benefit from theirs. But to be quite honest, I'm sick and tired of seeing that high number of friends but not getting that high friend response. I have a feeling I was never the type of person for a high friend response anyone. So how hypocritically fake is it to have nothing to show for the 700 people I friended?
Look what we have here! Social status opportunity? Not here. I want the real thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment