Young Adult Life Crisis

This is how I deal

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Happiness vs. Joy


hap·pi·ness


[hap-ee-nis]  Show IPA
noun
1.
the quality or state of being happy.
2.
good fortune; pleasure; contentment; joy.


joy


[joi]  Show IPA
noun
1.
the emotion of great delight or happiness caused bysomething exceptionally good or satisfying; keen pleasure;elation: She felt the joy of seeing her son's success.
2.
a source or cause of keen pleasure or delight; something orsomeone greatly valued or appreciated: Her prose style is apure joy.
3.
the expression or display of glad feeling; festive gaiety.
4.
a state of happiness or felicity.

I've heard that the difference between being happy and being joyful is that something has to happen to make you happy, hence the similar spelling. But joyful is deeper in it's meaning which is probably why you can call the source of pleasure, joy and joy describes the state of being as happiness describes good fortune/luck, which is dependent on circumstances. Joy depends on you, happiness depends on your surroundings.  I am not giving strict meaning for either of the words, nor am I forfeiting what I have previously said. I believe that the English language is fluid and that meanings can change over periods of time. However, based on the distinction I made between happiness and joy, I would like to have joy. 


Jesus said, "These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full." John 15:11


So it is possible for our joy to be full, complete.  I've been told that I have a happy disposition, but based my thoughts and my ability to know myself I would say that my disposition is quite indifferent. When I was younger, I did not want to be the girl who cries because it was not cool to cry. The only thing that really makes me cry is scary things, like recounting a ghost story. So I started by not allowing myself to cry at funerals. And then I just tried to stop crying altogether.  But as I got older, I realized that by cutting off my tears, I also cut off a lot of my smiles. I became emotionally detached to some extent. I found myself wanting to cry and smile. Sometimes now I have to force myself to smile at a happy situation or force my to feel the sadness. Only recently have I felt emotions so strong or overwhelming that tears readily come to my eyes. 


Now these are the words Jesus spoke to His disciples so that their joy may be full:  
"If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love." John 15:10


Wow! So those aren't the only words that precede John 15:11. John 15: 1-10 talks about basically abiding in Christ, the true vine. So our joy may be full if we abide in Christ. Interesting!!! So if I abide in Christ, my joy will be full. Now I define my thoughts mostly as not being so joyful and far from God. Sometimes I find joy in quite morbid things but that is another story. But the idea is that if my mind and my actions and my words are dwelling on Christ and following after His own example ( imitation is one of the greatest shows of honor) then I will have full joy. Following Christ leads to full joy. Now the questions again is asked: How can I focus my mind on Christ, so that my actions and words will follow? 


Earnest prayer: Focus on Jesus!



No comments:

Post a Comment