Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
-William Ernest Henley
If you have never seen the film, hearing Morgan Freeman recite these words depicting Nelson Mandela is moving to say the least. And when I heard that last line for the first time, it was almost as if I had read it before on the bathroom stall door as I relieved my bladder. I can almost see the scraggly writing now, against the peeling paint. I can remember feeling offended at the blasphemy in that last line, As if a mere human could captain their own soul. Kind of like taking God's place in your life. But in truth, we control where we end up, heaven or hell, success or failure. It is our responsibility. Which is basically what I learned today from my GAP lessons.
1) Put the past behind and commit to go forward with this program
2) If it's to be, It's up to me. I AM responsible.
2) Commit to master every area of my life and take actions towards that mastery.
As you can see, I'm up very late, meaning I'm slacking and not doing well in mastering my sleeping habits. But I baked some bread. I need to wake up early. Tomorrow, I got to get car for road test, buy computer paper, cook food for mommy, go to church later that night,prepare clothes to wear for church, plus all the other actions I am supposed to take toward mastery.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
I am the captain of my soul.
No comments:
Post a Comment