Young Adult Life Crisis

This is how I deal

Friday, October 7, 2011

My Selfish Gospel

"When men take themselves out of social life, away from the sphere of Christian duty and cross bearing; when they cease to work earnestly for the Master, who worked earnestly for them, they lose the subject matter of prayer and have no incentive to devotion. Their prayers become personal and selfish." Steps to Christ, p. 101

I was reading an interesting quote from Steps to Christ to my mother, and my brother walked in the room. As I read, he excused himself to go back to what he was doing downstairs. As he did this, I realized how selfish I was in not opening up the invitation for my brother to join us upstairs, as we studied. I asked my mother if she would invite Biko to join us. She says that the invitation is always open. I called Biko because conscience was bothering me. How?

Earlier this summer, I talked about witnessing to my aunt who lives in my home, by serving her in every way I can. And yet we haven't prayed in the family circle since I'm been back. My driving instructor probably has the wrong idea about me because I hide my religion. My friend was just talking to me this week about a group in her church who only likes to deal with spiritual people, and I agreed with her that they seemed exclusive and self righteous. 

But look at me! Am I any better? I want to study the Bible with teens who know some of the basics. But what about people who never entered the church and don't have idea about the eternal reality? This has brought me to the conclusion that I am selfish with my religion. Problem is if I really believed Jesus was coming soon, would I be so selfish? If the people of God have to reflect Christ (2 Peter 2:21-25) in order for them to have eternal life, shouldn't I be more like Jesus and spread his gospel? It's time to integrate!

So here I am up waiting for my brother to join me so we can study. I refuse to go to sleep until we finish. He said he will come up when he is ready. I believe that he does not enjoy the word of God because if I was his girlfriend, he'd already be up here. But in the urgency of the time, I think we should study God's word. 

"...what we have been years learning, they will have to learn in a few months..."

No comments:

Post a Comment