Young Adult Life Crisis

This is how I deal

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Secular Music Part 1

I want to listen to music that does not glorify God. Very secular music. I remember a friend telling me there is no reason to listen to secular music because there are so many different types of Christian music. No offense to Christian rap and other Christian genres but to me it just is not as hot as secular genres. 
I love gospel music though and even though I listen to secular music I still listen to Christian music. So while I agree that there is so many types of Christian music and I like Jesus, I also do believe that real entertainment is in secular music.
On Thursday, I was listening to my MP3 player and my other friend wanted to listen, too. So, I gave him an ear bud. My music is sorted alphabetically not by genre. So as my friend listens, he comments that  I had a secular song playing right after a Christian song. the unsaid question was how you mixing the world with the Godly? 
This made me think to a time earlier that week when I went to prayer meeting with another friend. He was playing secular music in the car and then he said turn it down as he pulled into the parking lot of the church. His reasoning behind why the music must be turned down was because he has respect for God. I was so shocked he made this statement. What makes the parking lot of CCC so holy that you can't play secular music loudly? What happens outside of the parking lot that makes it's okay to play secular music? Garbage!!! 
This was similar to a situation I had with my roommate in Korea. She would start singing a secular song on the Sabbath and then remind her self that it was Sabbath so that she would stop singing. What makes the Sabbath so holy that you can't sing secular music and what happens on the other days that it becomes okay for you to sing and listen to secular songs? Garbage!!!
You are the temple of God. You are Holy, because you are God's temple. Therefore if you listen to Secular music, no matter where you are or what time it is, it must be a holy thing to do. Now I'm being facetious because we all know that some secular music is just not holy. And we cannot declare anything to be holy. So the problem is not whether it is holy or not but are you holy or not.
Please don't misunderstand me but how can it be good for you to listen to secular music some places and times but not others when you are the same person? It's more than what is appropriate because we know that a job interview is not the place to blast Kanye West. It's about what we see as Godly and frankly, secular music is not of God. So it's either you listen to it and be real with yourself and stop trying to pretend you're something you're not or you do not listen to it and still be real with yourself and try really hard to be what God wants you to be. In the end, I just want people to be real. Not just with one or two persons but with everyone. Why aren't we real?  Are we a afraid of people's judgments? If you don't find anything wrong with listening to it, just be real! If you do, just be real. 
So, I'm being real. I like listening to secular music, but because it may offend others, I'm going to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment